CBT Essex - Compulsory Basic Training
CBT Courses in Basildon Essex
CBT COURSES ONLY £120 IN BASILDON | 7 DAYS A WEEK.
In 1990 the government introduced CBT as a legal requirement. CBT is a course of Compulsory Basic Training which must be completed before a learner moped or motorcycle rider is allowed to ride unaccompanied on the road with L-plates. There is no test involved in a CBT course but you will have to reach a good level of safe competent riding in order to complete the course successfully. The course is a full day of training and most people reach the required standard in that time even if they have not ridden a motorcycle before.
**Mopeds and Motorcycles can be hired**
You will need:
• You need to hold either a provisional or full driving licence and be 16 years old or over.
You will need to complete CBT if:
• You want to ride a moped or motorcycle (engine size not over 125cc, if you are 16 years old your engine no bigger than a 50cc.).
• If you obtained your car licence before 1st February 2001, you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a 50cc moped.
What does CBT involve? The CBT course involves five elements:
1. Introduction (covering legal requirements)
2. Practical off road training
3. Practical off road riding
4. Practical on road training
5. Practical on road riding
You must complete all 5 parts to gain your CBT Certificate (DL 196)
Certificate of Completion (DL 196)
When all five elements have been satisfactorily completed a certificate of completion called the DL196 is issued. This is a legal document which validates your driving licence. It is important that the holder of a DL196 considers the following points:
• a DL 196 certificate validating a provisional moped or provisional motorcycle entitlement lasts for only years.
• for moped entitlement only, if you pass your car driving test whilst your DL 196 is still current or complete a CBT course and obtain a DL 196 after passing your car test, the certificate is not subject to expiry. You will therefore need to keep your DL 196 certificate safely. Please note that this applies to mopeds only, for riding any machine greater than a 50 cc the DL 196 remains valid for only two years.